- This event has passed.
All-Day Presentation Boot Camp
April 5 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pmFree
This event rescheduled to Wednesday 5th April, 2023.
This event provided by Graduate Research in collaboration with Academic Learning Support.
As a researcher – both in your studies and career – you’ll be called upon to present your research in a variety of contexts, and to a variety of audiences. Presenting is a critical skill that opens doors in both industry and academia, yet many of us are still terrified at the idea of adapting our work to the spoken word and presenting on stage.
This all-day boot camp – co-hosted by Kellie Kayser (Academic Learning Support) and Hugh Milligan (Graduate Research) – will span the entire process of adapting, preparing and delivering a phenomenal research presentation.
In the morning, Kellie will cover:
- Context: different scenarios where you may be required to present your research (such as confirmation, the HDR Festival and research conferences).
- Structure: exploring how your research can be organised to meet the needs of its intended audience.
- Delivery: how to visually and orally share your research.
In the afternoon, Hugh will cover:
- Stage fright: what is glossophobia, and how does it work? What happens when we’re anxious on stage, and why?
- Delivery: mental and physical techniques for resisting (or redirecting) anxiety on stage, and enhancing the impact of our presentation.
- Mnemonics: tips and tricks for memorising information.
The day will include snacks and refreshments, a half-hour ‘walk and talk’ session around campus, and will conclude with an open presentation hour, where anyone who would like to practice and get feedback on a presentation they’ve prepared is welcome to do so.
If you’d like to present your work during the afternoon, you can indicate this on the registration form. Presenting is entirely optional, however; if you’re just here to listen and learn, that’s absolutely fine.
Whether you’re a novice presenter looking to get started, someone with stage fright who’d like to build confidence, or an experienced presenter who’d like to hone your skills even further, this all-day boot camp is a rare opportunity that shouldn’t be missed.
Spots are limited, so register quickly to secure yours!
🌐 CLICK HERE TO REGISTER: https://forms.office.com/r/2bLt5qwy4y
🗓 Wednesday 5 April 2023
📍 The Clubhouse*, Bar on the Hill, Callaghan Campus
⏰ 9:30am – 3:00pm
* The Clubhouse is located beneath the outside deck.